Our Book Groups are very popular! NNNC offers various book groups that hold their meetings on different days and times throughout the month. Depending on your schedule and taste of reading material you will surely find one group that meets your needs. Please see the current newsletter or directory for contact information.
- Bookworms – Linda Griffith: We generally meet at 10:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday of the month. We meet at different members homes to discuss our chosen book after a brief chat.
- Cloak and Dagger Book Group – Kathy Swain: We meet once a month at Compass Cafe to discuss a mystery novel.
- First Tuesday Book Group – Jan Strom, Debbie Anderson-Blomquist: We generally meet at 12:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month. We meet at different members homes to discuss our chosen book.
- Fourth Tuesday Book Club – Alyssa Keane: We generally meet at 10:30 a.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month. We usually spend a short time chatting and catching up over some light snacks before we begin our discussion.
- Overflow Book Group – Rachel Melville: We meet once per month from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. We enjoy light refreshment and interesting conversation as we discuss our monthly book selection.
Book Group Reading Lists for 2019-2020
If Games are your passion, you’ve come to the right place. We have groups for singles and couples, and we meet either at member’s homes or in restaurants. There is something for everybody. You may choose to join any of the NNNC game clubs listed below. Please see the newsletter to find contact information for Games.
- Double Tree Bridge – Sharon Vance: We generally play at the Double Tree Hotel on the first Thursday and second Wednesday of the month at 10:15 a.m. This group is for bridge players of all levels.
- Fourth Wednesday Rusty Duplicate Bridge – Carol Showalter: We meet on the Fourth Wednesday of each month at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 1310 Shepherd Dr., Naperville, from 9:45 am-approx. 2:30 pm Bring a lunch or order lunch.
- Canasta – Jan Strom: We generally meet on the second and fourth Tuesday at 9:15 a.m. at Colonial Cafe. Canasta is an easy-to-learn card game involving 5 decks of cards. There are many variations of the game, but we will teach you the one we play.
- Bunco Babes– Sandy Pollastrini: We usually meet one Wednesday a month in the evening. We meet at members’ homes and no skill is required to join the fun.
- Couples Euchre – Alice Gilmore
- Pinochle – Lenore Chemers, Shirley Kaczanowski: We typically meet the second Wednesday of the month at 11:30 a.m. We meet for lunch at a local restaurant and then stay to play cards.
- Scrabble – Nina Betts: We usually meet the first Monday of the month at 1:00 p.m.
- Puzzle Swap – Jeanne Coleman: We generally meet every other month, on the second Friday, to swap gently used jigsaw puzzles.
I joined the NNNC in 1999. I am the co-chair of the 4th Tuesday book club and have been cooking groups, Trips and Tours, knitting and many crafting groups. I’ve made lots of friends. It has enriched my life.
The NNNC is a wonderful supportive group that readily welcomes new members.
Creating beautiful fine art pieces and unique craft items is a fabulous way of self-expression. Learn new skills or share your expertise with other NNNC members. You may choose to join any of the NNNC art and craft clubs listed below. Please see the newsletter to find contact information for Crafts.
- Chat and Stitch – Marie Riley: We generally meet on the second Friday of the month in the morning. We enjoy lively conversation while working onstitching projects.
- Knifty Knitters – Karen Fairless: We generally meet most Tuesdays at 2:00 p.m. We meet at member’s homes and have fun helping one another learn to knit.
- Quilting Group – Nicky Vincent: We generally meet at 9:30 a.m. on the first Thursday of the month. We meet at members homes to share our projects, help each other and learn new quilting techniques.
We have several groups that involve food. So if you enjoy cooking, eating or just spending a couple hours chatting with a fun group of people these activities are for you!
- Breakfast Bunch – Joanne Crowley: Breakfast Bunch generally meets the first Friday of the month at a local restaurant to enjoy breakfast and conversation. See the newsletter for the location of the month.
- Evening Potluck – Debbie Bradley: Evening Potluck meets one evening a month at a member’s home, usually a Saturday. Guests bring a dish and their choice of beverage. See the newsletter for date, time and location.
- Let’s Do Lunch – Sue Maloney: We meet once a month at a local restaurant to enjoy a meal and conversation. Please see the newsletter for current information if you would like to join us.
- Potluck Lunch Group – Carolyn Klein: We meet one Thursday a month at a member’s home. We bring a dish to share, it can be either homemade or store bought. We enjoy good food and conversation, and share recipes for our dishes. See the newsletter for more information.
- T.G.I.F. Social – Marlene Miller, Jackie Doran: We meet one Friday a month after 6:30 p.m. We enjoy friendly chat, cocktails and appetizers. Bring a plate of hot or cold munchies to share and BYOB. See the newsletter for this months location.
- Wine and Dine Lunch Group – Cami Plummer, Debbie Bradley: We meet once a month at a local restaurant to enjoy a ggod meal and conversation. See the newsletter for more information.
- MIx and Mingle – Deb Orozco: An opportunity of meet other members,share time with friends and enjoy cocktails and appetizers in a “happy hour” type atmosphere. We meet every other month, typically the last Wednesday of the month from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at different venues. Come alone or with a spouse. Please check newsletter for details.
- Coffee Excursion – Kathy Pettit: Coffee Excursions will meet monthly at different coffee
shops throughout our area for refreshments and conversation and then follow up with some exploration of
that local area.
MIND AND BODY
- Alley Cats– Joanne Crowley, Michele Marko: Please join us for a fun filled afternoon. No matter what your level of bowling, you are guaranteed a good time! We bowl most Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. Please contact one of the activity chairs if you would like to join this fun group of great ladies.
- Helping Hands – Elizabeth Riordan, Kelly Johnson, Barb Carpenter and Roxanne Melson: Members enjoy volunteering and participating in monthly service activities at locations associated with the non-profit organizations supported by the NNNC. The volunteer activities range from volunteering at Feed My Starving Children to planting flowers for FHF, or assisting with a shopping day at Loaves and Fishes. All opportunities are valuable and rewarding.
- Investment Discussion Group – Jennifer Lymangood: We usually meet on the fourth Wednesday of the month from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. We meet at my office conference room. Our focus is on learning what it takes to become financially independent.
- Ladies Movie Night – Nicky Vincent, Joyce Ventura: We generally meet on the third Monday of the month. We begin with dinner at a local restaurant around 5:30 p.m., and then go to a nearby movie theater to catch a movie with a start time around 7:00 p.m. If your schedule does not allow for both, join us for the dinner or the movie.
- Know and Tell – Abby Adams, Angeline Finnegan, Margaret Rusch, Beth Riordan: The Know and Tell Group gives our speakers and/or members the opportunity to share their knowledge, experience or passion on a subject of their choosing. It is usually presented in a panel discussion format or with a presentation that allows questions to follow. Please come share and learn from our amazing group of members that make up a treasure chest of uniqueness.
- Spanish Conversation– Doris Carrera: We welcome anyone to our Spanish group who speaks Spanish to practice the Spanish language while socializing. We get together twice a month depending on availability.
- Walkers – Holly Hogue: We generally meet on the third Monday of the month at 9:30 a.m. We enjoy a walk at a local walking path of forest preserve while we chat. If you enjoy nature and love walking outdoors, join our walking group. Bring a camera if you would like to capture the beautiful scenes that our walking group will encounter during our monthly nature walks.
- Vera’s “Wrapped in Love” Blankets – Val Blankley: We lovingly make “no-sew” blankets for Edwards Cancer Center as well as “Camp Hope” kids. This camp is for kids (6-12) who have a loved one with cancer. If you can tie a knot you will be ableto make these blankets. We usually meet the second Monday of the month at 10:00 a.m.
- These Feet are Made for Dancing – Anne Henriksen
- S.E.R.V.E. – Maureen Wood, Mairie Sturges
- Ed Talks – Julie Gilbert: The goal is to present 2-3 talks this year. Each Talk will feature multiple speakers, presenting approximately 20 -30 minutes per speaker. The Talks will start at 6:30 p.m, and will offer light refreshments along with time for conversation and fellowship.
Come join us for a get together with the guys. We always have a good time.
- Men’s Group Book Group – Dean Vance: We meet the 2nd Tuesday of the month. If you would like to be included in the Men’s Group Book Club e-mail announcements, please contact Dean Vance
- Monthly Meeting – Dan Henriksen: The Men’s Group meets monthly on the 2nd Thursday evening of the month. All are invited to enjoy some “BB&C” Brews, Burger & Conversation and some discussion on upcoming events. You can join the gathering at any time after 6:00 PM. If you would like to be included in the Men’s Group email announcements, please contact Dan Henriksen.
- Men’s Alcohol Education – Bob Sturges: We meet to tour local breweries and distilleries and further our education.
- Men’s Bike Group – Jeff Wagoner