Our Book Groups are very popular! NNNC offers various book groups that hold their meetings on different days and times throughout the month. Depending on your schedule and taste of reading material you will surely find one group that meets your needs. Please see the current newsletter or directory for contact information.
- Bookworms – Linda Griffith: We generally meet at 10:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday of the month. We meet at different members homes to discuss our chosen book after a brief chat.
- Cloak and Dagger Book Group – Kathy Swain: We meet once a month at Compass Cafe to discuss a mystery novel.
- First Tuesday Book Group – Jan Strom, Debbie Anderson-Blomquist: We generally meet at 12:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month. We meet at different members homes to discuss our chosen book.
- Fourth Tuesday Book Club – Alyssa Keane, Karen Weber: We generally meet at 10:30 a.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month. We usually spend a short time chatting and catching up over some light snacks before we begin our discussion.
- Overflow Book Group – Rachel Melville: We meet once per month from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. We enjoy light refreshment and interesting conversation as we discuss our monthly book selection.
Book Group Reading Lists for 2018-2019
If Games are your passion, you’ve come to the right place. We have groups for singles and couples, and we meet either at member’s homes or in restaurants. There is something for everybody. You may choose to join any of the NNNC game clubs listed below. Please see the newsletter to find contact information for Games.
- Hilton Bridge – Sharon Vance: We generally play at the Lisle Hilton on the first Thursday and second Wednesday of the month at 10:15 a.m. This group is for bridge players of all levels.
- Fourth Wednesday Rusty Duplicate Bridge – Carol Showalter: We meet on the Fourth Wednesday of each month at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 1310 Shepherd Dr., Naperville, from 9:45 am-approx. 2:30 pm Bring a lunch or order lunch.
- Canasta – Jan Strom: We generally meet on the second and fourth Tuesday at 9:15 a.m. at Colonial Cafe. Canasta is an easy-to-learn card game involving 5 decks of cards. There are many variations of the game, but we will teach you the one we play.
- Bunco Babes– Sandy Pollastrini: We usually meet one Wednesday a month in the evening. We meet at members’ homes and no skill is required to join the fun.
- ABC – Afternoon Bunco Crew – Marie Riley: ABC usually meets on the 4th Monday of the month from 2:00-4:00 pm at Good Shepard Lutheran Church, lower level meeting room.
- Pinochle – Lenore Chemers, Shirley Kaczanowski: We typically meet the second Wednesday of the month at 11:30 a.m. We meet for lunch at a local restaurant and then stay to play cards.
- Scrabble – Nina Betts: We usually meet the first Monday of the month at 1:00 p.m.
I joined the NNNC in 1999. I am the co-chair of the 4th Tuesday book club and have been cooking groups, Trips and Tours, knitting and many crafting groups. I’ve made lots of friends. It has enriched my life.Karen T. Weber
The NNNC is a wonderful supportive group that readily welcomes new members.Mary Ann Simpson
Creating beautiful fine art pieces and unique craft items is a fabulous way of self-expression. Learn new skills or share your expertise with other NNNC members. You may choose to join any of the NNNC art and craft clubs listed below. Please see the newsletter to find contact information for Crafts.
- Chat and Stitch – Marie Riley: We generally meet on the second Friday of the month in the morning. We enjoy lively conversation while working onstitching projects.
- Knifty Knitters – Karen Fairless: We generally meet most Tuesdays at 2:00 p.m. We meet at member’s homes and have fun helping one another learn to knit.
- Quilting Group – Nicky Vincent: We generally meet at 9:30 a.m. on the first Thursday of the month. We meet at members homes to share our projects, help each other and learn new quilting techniques.
We have several groups that involve food. So if you enjoy cooking, eating or just spending a couple hours chatting with a fun group of people these activities are for you!
- Breakfast Bunch – Joanne Crowley: Breakfast Bunch generally meets the first Friday of the month at a local restaurant to enjoy breakfast and conversation. See the newsletter for the location of the month.
- Evening Potluck – Debbie Bradley: Evening Potluck meets one evening a month at a member’s home, usually a Saturday. Guests bring a dish and their choice of beverage. See the newsletter for date, time and location.
- Let’s Do Lunch – We meet once a month at a local restaurant to enjoy a meal and conversation. Please see the newsletter for current information if you would like to join us.
- Potluck Lunch Group – Carolyn Klein: We meet one Thursday a month at a member’s home. We bring a dish to share, it can be either homemade or store bought. We enjoy good food and conversation, and share recipes for our dishes. See the newsletter for more information.
- Saturday Night Social – Michele Marko, Joanne Crowley: SNS is an opportunity for members to get together and experience the friendship of our members, spouses and friends in a relaxed setting, whether in our homes or a local establishment. Check the newsletter for upcoming events.
- T.G.I.F. Social – Marlene Miller, Jackie Doran: We meet one Friday a month after 6:30 p.m. We enjoy friendly chat, cocktails and appetizers. Bring a plate of hot or cold munchies to share and BYOB. See the newsletter for this months location.
- Wine and Dine Lunch Group – Cami Plummer, Debbie Bradley: We meet once a month at a local restaurant to enjoy a ggod meal and conversation. See the newsletter for more information.
MIND AND BODY
- Alley Cats – Joanne Crowley, Michele Marko: Please join us for a fun filled afternoon. No matter what your level of bowling, you are guaranteed a good time! We bowl most Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. Please contact one of the activity chairs if you would like to join this fun group of great ladies.
- Creative Mind Think Tank – Val Blankley: If you are passionate about Arts & Crafts and would like to learn more about Etsy, teaching classes and selling at local craft shows/shops, then this supportive group of “Creative Minds” is for you!
- Evening Lecture Series – Anne Federleine
- Francophone Connection – Caroline Blanchard, Pascale Bert: We generally meet the first Tuesday and Third Thursday of the month from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The French group meets at member’s homes and welcomes anyone who speaks French or wishes to practice the French language.
- Helping Hands – Elizabeth Riordan, Carol Sharpe, Kelly Johnson: Members enjoy volunteering and participatiing in monthly service activities at locations associated with the non-profit organizations supported by the NNNC. The volunteer activities range from playing Bingo at the Ecumenical Day Center to planting flowers or assisting with a shopping day at Loaves and Fishes. All opportunities are valuable and rewarding.
- Investment Discussion Group – Jennifer Lymangood, Mary Kay Kluge: We usually meet on the fourth Wednesday of the month from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. We meet at my office conference room. Our focus is on learning what it takes to become financially independent.
- Ladies Movie Night – Nicky Vincent, Joyce Ventura: We generally meet on the third Monday of the month. We begin with dinner at a local restaurant around 5:30 p.m., and then go to a nearby movie theater to catch a movie with a start time around 7:00 p.m. If your schedule does not allow for both, join us for the dinner or the movie.
- Know and Tell – Abby Adams, Angeline Finnegan, Margaret Rusch, Beth Riordan: The Know and Tell Group gives our speakers and/or members the opportunity to share their knowledge, experience or passion on a subject of their choosing. It is usually presented in a panel discussion format or with a presentation that allows questions to follow. Please come share and learn from our amazing group of members that make up a treasure chest of uniqueness.
- Spanish Conversation – Doris Carrera: We welcome anyone to our Spanish group who speaks Spanish to practice the Spanish language while socializing. We get together twice a month depending on availability.
- Walkers – Holly Hogue: We generally meet on the third Monday of the month at 9:30 a.m. We enjoy a walk at a local walking path of forest preserve while we chat. If you enjoy nature and love walking outdoors, join our walking group. Bring a camera if you would like to capture the beautiful scenes that our walking group will encounter during our monthly nature walks.
- Vera’s “Wrapped in Love” Blankets – Val Blankley: We lovingly make “no-sew” blankets for Edwards Cancer Center as well as “Camp Hope” kids. This camp is for kids (6-12) who have a loved one with cancer. If you can tie a knot you will be ableto make these blankets. We usually meet the second Monday of the month at 10:00 a.m.
Come join us for a get together with the guys. We always have a good time.
- Men’s Group Book Group – Dean Vance: We meet the 2nd Tuesday of the month. If you would like to be included in the Men’s Group Book Club e-mail announcements, please contact Dean Vance
- Monthly Meeting – Dan Henriksen: The Men’s Group meets monthly on the 2nd Thursday evening of the month. All are invited to enjoy some “BB&C” Brews, Burger & Conversation and some discussion on upcoming events. You can join the gathering at any time after 6:00 PM. If you would like to be included in the Men’s Group email announcements, please contact Dan Henriksen.
- Men’s Alcohol Education – Bob Sturges: We meet to tour local breweries and distilleries and further our education.